|Working on the random module panel.|
One panel is dedicated to the DIY synth. I should be able fit it on that size.
I cut the second blank panel with a good metal saw to have 3 panels of the desired sizes for my first modules.
It's doable but it's a pain. And it's not easy to get them straight.
I'll try to stick to 4 or 8HP blank panels next time. Using the large panel and my saw for larger sizes.
I use Inkscape to draw the panels. It's open source. A bit rough around the edge but overall quite powerful. I print at least one intermediate version to test and two final versions : one with the indication for the holes and one with the final markings.
Holes are located thanks to a specific version of the panel drawing (in fact one of the drawing's layer), a punch and a hammer.
I then pierce them : 6-mm hole for jacks and LEDs, 8-mm hole for a potentiometer. I use a 2-mm larger drill lightly to smooth the edges but you can use a step drill and insist a little.
|Temporary annotated panel|
I then try with the temporary paper version and I annotate all modifications. This is my way to detect and correct the small imperfections.
Finally, when I'm happy with the final design, I laminate the paper template and I glue it on the aluminum panel.
I let some space outside the panel to be able to slide it to place. Moreover I don't trust my ability with scissors.
Once dried up, I cut the excess with a sharp blade, using the edges of the panel as a ruler, and I start punching the holes with an precision knife.
|Removing excess of the laminated paper panel|
Finally, it's time to put everything back into place. Nuts and knobs gently hide the imperfections of the holes.