Sunday 18 February 2024

OCP Update

After two years and barely much use, I decided to upgrade my Ornament and Crime module with one of the latest firmware.

Ornament and Crime being an open source platform means there are several alternative firmwares out there.

I reckon that the original firmware is a bit daunting : lots of applications with pages and pages of parameters.  Moreover, each application uses all the inputs and outputs. I do not need, for example, a 4-channel ADSR envelope generator.  One or two is enough. I wanted less comprehensive applications, using less resources and be able to mix some of them (i.e combine a Sequencer and an LFO generator)

Why would I need 4xADSR envelope generators with 20+ parameters ?

Update in progress
And that’s what firmware like Hemisphere promises. It is an "alternate firmware for the Ornament and Crime Eurorack module, featuring a dual-applet framework with dozens of different modular functions".  Each applet is simple with an handful of parameters. And two can be combined at any given time.

The latest incarnation of Hemisphere is djphazer’s Phazerville. In the classic open-source forking tradition, it is built on Benisphere, itself a fork from Hemisphere. It still contains a fair share of the original applications, so it makes quite a complete feature set.

My version of Ornament and Crime is based on a Teensy 3.2 micro controller platform.
So I downloaded a Teensy loader, turned my module around in order to access the ‘program’ button, followed the instructions on the Teensy loader webpages and that was it.
As far as I can tell, the installation of a new firmware does not affect calibration data, so I was good to go after the 30 seconds installation.

Now I have a new world of possibilities to explore 

Done




No comments:

Post a Comment